crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Recipes

For some of you, this may be the most boring post to date; suck it up.

Tonight I made dinner for Tress and me in 15 minutes. We had a tomato and fresh mozza salad with a homemade vinegarette, garlic fried tofu and miso soup... why am I so excited? Well, it's taken me 7 months to master miso soup, and my sister has been preaching the deliciousness of fried tofu for eons and up until tonight I was a fried-tofu-virgin. I'm sure you can get all these ingredients in Canada even!!

Miso Soup
4 servings

4 cups water
1 tbsp miso paste
veggies (potato, cabbage, onion, etc.)
tofu (if you so desire)
fish salt (the secret ingredient, provided by Jody, that sealed the deal)

Boil water. Add veggies according to time they will take to cook. Add miso paste and fish salt, to taste. Eat. Sooooo easy, soooo oishi!

Fried Tofu
1 pkg = approx 2 servings

cubed firm tofu
olive oil
seasonings (s&p, garlic, oregano, chilis... whatever flavours you like really)

Saute garlic in oil. Add tofu. On medium heat, fry for about 8 minutes without stirring (stirring with break cubes). Gently stir to flip cubes. Fry for about 8 more minutes or until golden brown and slightly crusty. Eat. Again, easy and oishi.


Your own miso soup and/or tofu ideas are welcome. See, I can be Martha even in Japan!! (omg)

2 Comments:

    • At 12:46 AM, Blogger Jody (White) and Juan Leon said…

      I told you it was all about the fish salt! MMmmmmmm fish salt!

       
    • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Crystal said…

      Oh! Trav just told me that if you boil the raw tofu in water for five minutes, it firms it up enough for perfectly cubed fried tofu (rather than scrambled-eggs-like fried tofu). Haven't yet tried this, but sounds interesting.

       
    • Post a Comment


adopt your own virtual pet!