crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Thursday, October 09, 2008

School and School

Things are going mostly well at school and school. I am just managing to keep my head above water.

Being back at university is strange, especially because it's here in the UK. School at all levels is very different here than in Canada. Thankfully I've only got to go one day a week, or I'd probably go batty.

My programme is in transition this year. It's the first year they've offerred it in conjunction with the Master's Degree. This is a good thing, because I want the MA anyway, but I believe that it is the route of the total disorganisation of the course. We're a month-and-a-half in already, and no one is entirely sure yet how we're being assessed!

My new workplace is great. It's become apparent that not all kids in the UK are totally insane. The huge class divisions here are also coming more to light - very strange! But I'm settling in well; liking (almost) all my classes; and am befriending the staff. I absolutely love that work is now just 20 minutes drive from home. I also love that there are several people in my department that live within 5 minutes of me (not that I've taken advantage of that yet, but I will). I've been 'encouraged' to apply for a permanent post that's opened up in English department. It wouldn't start until my course is finished, but as I'd love to stay on there, I've agreed to apply. Fingers crossed!

So now I'm just working like the crazy woman that I am. I teach about 8 lessons per week, most of which are observed and graded by other members of staff. This involves about 5 pages, typed, of lesson planning and evaluating. I observe another 5-or-so lessons per week; another 3 pages of recording. There's marking and meetings and seminars and scheme-of-work writing, as usual; and then there's Uni stuff to fit in: researching, report writing, textbook reading, auditing, training diary-entry writing, homework tasks, subject-knowledge enhancement tasks, mentor meetings (I have 5 mentors) and so much more. I haven't even started on the 50,000 word dissertation I have to write for the first (of six) modules of my Masters. And my actual teaching load is set to increase within the next month or two.

Why do I get myself into these things, again?

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!