crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

To Paris and Back Again

We've just returned from a whirlwind weekend in Paris. Aside from a couple minor glitches (like the hotel booked for us being nearly 40 kms from the airport - taxi = ouch!), we had a fantastic time!! I got to see everything on my list, from Notre Dame to la Tour Eiffel. The best part was stumbling upon an impromtu concert/street party on Mont Matre (the highest point of the city) - what an amazing atmosphere!




I have tons of recommendations for anyone heading to Paris! And also, some words of warning: though the Louvre is the world's biggest museum, in my opinion, it is not necessarily the best. I've seen single pieces of more acclaim elsewhere than much of what is found at the Louvre, and I was disappointed not to find any Impressionist nor Abstract paintings. Maybe they were just lost within the vastness of the building: when people say the Louvre is enormous, they are understating it; I'm sure it could house the entire population of Paris, if necessary! And to think, that was someone's home (okay, palace) at one point!

And despite what you may hear, and what the stereotypes propogate, French people are really quite hospitable. We didn't encounter any rude locals, which is more than we can say for some other parts of the world.

It was such an amazing trip, and a weekend did seem sufficient to see and do most major touristy things, but of course we are both eager to go back!

*** click on the pictures in the slideshow for more comments.

2 Comments:

    • At 11:18 AM, Blogger Jody (White) and Juan Leon said…

      I am so jealous you went to Paris. We are hoping to go for Christmas 2010 when I finish my MA. I'm sorry about the Louver. Next time you go, go across the river to Musee d'Orsay. That is where all the impressionist works are hung. The museum is in a remodeled train station and is GORGEOUS!!! I can't believe you didn't go there. Oh well... there is always next time.
      Au revoir
      Jody

       
    • At 9:57 AM, Blogger Crystal said…

      I can't say enough good things about Paris; you should definitely go.

      No wonder I didn't find the Impressionists, if they weren't even in the Louvre! Too bad we didn't know about this separate museum; totally would have gone. Oh well, next time. Thanks for the info!!
      xx Crystal

       
    • Post a Comment


adopt your own virtual pet!