crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Thursday, October 09, 2008

A Flu Is So Not A Bad Cold

This one, I've learned from experience. There is a reason why people 'get the jab' to avoid the flu. It's because getting the flu sucks.

Last week I was knocked on my ass by a nice one. Haven't been sick like that in a while. Wednesday I taught four lessons (3 of which were observed) and stumbled home directly after work. By the time Riccardo got home at 6:00 my temperature was over 102 F. I was freezing, even in full pajamas, with the radiator blasting and with my huge duvet up to my nose. I didn't leave bed for the next two days.

One of the worst parts of this particular flu were the aches and pains. I've had soreness and stiffness before, but not like this. My hips and legs were aching so bad I had to lie with my legs elevated and it still kept me up through the night. And when that was finally under control, the cough set into my chest.

The first trip to the doctor got me one prescription and two over-the-counter recommendations. In addition to the medicated lozenges, tea-diet, Vapo-rub and Tylenol I was already living off of, of course. That was on Friday. By Monday I still wasn't better, though had to return to work anyway (way too much to do, despite my colleagues implying I'd be better off at home), and went back to the doctor where I was prescribed an inhaler. Fun.

Tuesday was the first time I was able to sleep through the night, but by then my dear husband was coming down with the special present I had passed on to him, so there was no rest for the weary. In addition to the day he worked at home so that he could drive me to the doctor, he's now been off work for 3 days, plus tomorrow. Poor boy.

Is it a positive that I know where he's coming from?

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!