crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Got Skillz

All trainee teachers in the UK have to complete three skills tests. Fail the tests, you simply do not qualify for teacher status, no matter how much schooling you do. Thankfully, candidates can retake the tests as many times as they need, though the governing body of teachers does keep record of this.

So my tests were on Monday. I decided to attempt all three in one shot. I was fairly certain I'd pass the literacy and ICT (computer technology) tests, having twice passed the online trial versions for both tests. Numeracy was another thing. In case you didn't know...

I hate math!

So I stressed. I took the online trial and failed. And I stressed. Riccardo helped me study. I took the online trial and failed. And I stressed. The weekend before the test I decided to wing it, take my chances.

I was nervy going in, but thought I'd start off easy with the ICT test. 35 minutes to get through four tasks with various instructions in each. The software used for this test is notoriously quirky, so when about halfway through the test I couldn't find an 'ok' button to complete a task, I was sure it was the program. Yet, I searched for another method to complete the task for about ten minutes, forgetting about the time limit. In the end, I had to submit that task incomplete, as the software offered no way to continue; what's worse, I ran out of time at the end, and had to submit the last task incomplete as well. So annoying.

I'm not shattered because I know I can pass the ICT test. It really is basic, and I'm confident in my tech skills (at a word processing/emailing/slideshow level). It's just really irritating that the test itself was glitchy - and I promise it's not an excuse.

Off to a bad start, I was rather negative about my next test, the numeracy one. This one is tricky even for a decent mathematician: 18 seconds per question, no calculator. Extra bad news for someone who is retarded at long division - can't do it, never have.

Thankfully, the real test downplayed the division, and by some miracle, I passed! YAY ME!!

Last was my literacy test. This was actually a challenge, but quite easily passable. I even managed to finish this one in about half the time.

Overall, I am quite happy with my Skills Tests experience. Still completely stunned I passed the numeracy one, first go!

One step closer to the real thing.
:)

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!