crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Sunday, April 27, 2008

---Diamonds are a girl's best friend---

Well, maybe 10th-best.

This morning my mate, Kam, and I went shopping in Birmingham's historic Jewellry Quarter. The goal: wedding jewellry.

After the first hour, or so, I was feeling quite depressed because the jewellry on display was all, predictably, too expensive. Diamonds do not come cheap. Though I had my heart set on a set of earrings-and-necklace sparklers, I was quickly learning that this may not be possible. Some shops suggested I go with a real diamond pendant and cubic zirconia earrings, or visa versa. Not ideal.

But Riki and I had talked about a budget, and I was fairly determined not to blow it. At least not exorbitantly. So I held out, and despite liking many separates that were over-budget just in themselves, I did not commit. Then, in an admittedly less-classy shop, I saw a beautiful white gold and diamond pendant that I liked for well under budget; I thought to myself, 'if I get that, and then some fake earrings, Riki would be so proud of my money-consciousness!' The shop assistant, in her wily way, interupted my self-praising to inform, 'if you buy the earrings here too, I'll give you a deal...'

Done. Found some gorgeous diamond hoopy earrings to match the flame-like double-strand diamond pendant, got 35 pounds off the already reasonable price (admittedly, didn't ask questions about the quality of my numerous pinhead diamonds), and sailed out of the shop, happy as a clam.

Hooray for owning my first (okay, second, considering the little twinkly I have on my finger) diamonds!! Now I have to talk myself into giving them to Riki until the wedding. I think I'll sleep with the little jewellers' box under my pillow until he gets home from China.

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!