crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Monday, February 11, 2008

Mid-term break

My friend Amy makes fun of Canadianisms like 'mid-term break'; apparently it's 'half-term break'. Sometimes I catch myself saying the craziest British-English expressions, like:


  • that was well good/hard/nice/etc.

  • let's get that sorted

  • what do you reckon?

  • would you fancy some chips/tea/etc.?

  • Wounded!

  • and so on.

I really have to keep an eye on that.


Anyhow, I am now on MID-term break. The other day I found myself trying to console the jealous boyfriend with the words, 'But Honey, these 13 weeks holidays were forced upon me!' Didn't go over too well. In fact, I don't consider it much of a holiday; it's more like a transfer of my focus to non-work related business. That said, I do have to get some work-related work done. But there's oodles of wedding-related and trying-live-in-the-damn-UK-related crap I have to get done, too.


I have to see about a license. I can only use an International Driver's Permit for one year. Because UK bureaucracy loves to make things as difficult as possible, they'll only transfer a BC licence into a permit for automatic transmissions here. I'm going to try to fandangle my way around that... but it could mean having to sell one of our (manual transmission) cars to get me a new one. And I loved my little Suzuki so. Probably going to cost us a small fortune at a really inopportune time, but maybe we'll end up with matchy-matchy vehicles - wouldn't that be awesome!? (***barf***)


Speaking of money: it looks like we can't cash in our insurance claim for the bikes that were stolen. And since the store that they work with is a specialty store, we're likely going to end up with two new bikes and two new Satellite Navigation systems (for our cars) at a time when we could really have used that £1100 for important stuff. Bitch. Moan.


I'm also in the process of applying for my permanent residency visa (by permanent, I mean 5-years, I think). This is so annoying as well. Though we should have expected it, we've recently learned that the documentation we must supply is much more detailed than that for my original 6-month family permit. So now I'm consumed with trying to get proof of this and that from all over the world; having documents translated by a certified source; writing emails and filling in forms, etc. etc. etc. Fingers crossed that I don't get deported. I mean, come on, England. I'm a more meaningful member of society than most Brits, for crying out loud. At least I don't live off the Dole.


University applications have been successful thus far. I've got an interview as well as an invitation to a 'First Steps' introductory evening (one from each Uni to which I applied). It's looking like I'll start in September.


I have to find a new doctor. The first office I tried here (only to pick up registration forms) smelled like pee, so I'm going to have to search out another one. I need new prescriptions, which I'm sure is going to be a huge ordeal. On the plus side, my prescriptions are totally FREE here, because I have a 'covered condition' (thyroid).


Ah the wedding. 50 million things to do there. And of course, I'm procrastiblogging. We've been looking into our honeymoon the last few weeks. When we finally got some price quotes for our ideal holiday, we were flabbergasted: £7500!! That's $15,000+!!! So we're going to have to revise, or perhaps arrange some of it privately. I've noticed an alternative that sounds fun: safari and beach stay in Sri Lanka, combined with a week in the Maldives. Supposed to be a lot cheaper, so we'll keep that in mind.


Riccardo and I are taking dance! It's so fun! We go on Sunday afternoons, to a studio about 10 minutes drive away. It was my birthday present from Riki. So far we've been learning the Waltz and the Quickstep. Of course I'm still hopeless, but it's good times.


My mom and Riki got me a really cool birthday present: they had my favourite picture beautifully framed. It's a needlepoint Japanese tea ceremony scene that my Aunty Jane made decades ago. I popped it out of its original frame so that I could bring it to Europe with me, but hadn't had the time or money to have it professionally framed. Now it's all done, and looks fabulous! Thanks guys! xxx


My future sister-in-law, Sylvia, has just returned from her 5-week excursion in Africa. She was volunteering at a lion sanctuary, and while she was there two very rare white lion cubs were born! How amazing! Soon she's off to Italy to live with her love, Michele - a very exciting time for her! Congrats, Sylvie!

Oh, we had to get a new vacuum. The hand-me-down one that Riccardo's mom gave us was a great starter (thanks again, Carla!) but we knew it wouldn't last long once we had duct tape holding together the hose in three separate spots. Then a couple weeks ago when Riccardo was vacuuming, it set on fire. I wasn't witness to it, but he said it gave up the ghost in the thick, black smokey style, and that was that. The new one cost a small fortune (about £90), but it seems to do the job. Our new carpet finally looks new again!


Is that all the news? I think so. Missing everyone from home, so feel free to phone me. Take care!


xxx Crystal

2 Comments:

    • At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      That was the longest blog entry "known to man" - would have taken me 2 sentences to tell that to the world:
      "All good here. Miss you all!"

       
    • At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      OMG, that entry was even longer!!!

       
    • Post a Comment


adopt your own virtual pet!