crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Week Since

Dreams of sleeping-in and doing nothing didn't really pan-out in the week since returning from Germany. Somehow we ended up with a packed agenda. I spent two solid days researching the answers to a gazillion wedding-related questions that were posed by friends and family while we were in Germany; and with un-packing, work-preparations, restocking the groceries, cleaning the house, doing eleventy-billion loads of laundry and playing upteen hours of Guitar Hero, we barely had time to sleep!

Unfortunately the friends we had planned to spend New Year's Eve with couldn't make it, but we did enjoy a fabulous 10-course dinner at our favourite Japanese restaurant in downtown Birmingham: Shogun Teppanyaki. We gussied ourselves up and made it an extra special date night, complete with the traditional Jan. 1st hangover. The bill, however, made it abundantly clear that this is a special occassion restaurant only.

Riccardo returned to work on Wednesday, and like a good wifey, I got up with him every day (although he only woke me for breakfast, at 8:00, so it wasn't that bad). He's been working hard to prepare for his conference in India, for which he'll depart at about 3:00am on Tuesday morning. Ugh. Then I'll be all alone for about 12 days. :( At least he fandangled it so that he wouldn't be away on my birthday!

Last night we had planned to have our House-warming party in conjunction with my birthday party; at the last minute we decided that too many of the potential guests were busy or out of town so we postponed it until the end of the month (we are also kind of hoping to have the exuberant Dave-and-Anne combo be able to attend on this new date, as they MAY be visiting us here - although we haven't actually been able to contact them about their plans while Anna is here from New Zealand **hint, hint**). Instead, we invited Riccardo's work friend, Andrew, and my work friend, Kam over for dinner. The night involved some yummy stilton fusilli, cheesecake, Balderdash, and yes, Guitar Hero. Good times; thanks to those two for coming!

Because Riccardo will have to get to bed fairly early tomorrow for his long journey to New Delhi, we've opted to celebrate my birthday tonight. He's taking me for dinner-and-a-movie in Solihull. My choice, of course. I think we'll either dine at Wagamama - a Japanese noodle bar, or TGIFridays.

Thanks to Mom and Rebecca for the presents. Just so you know, I spent the money at Ikea on a beautiful chair (just like the beige one I had before, only in chocolate) and a huge vase with some brown sticks in it - I'll try to remember to send/post pics. Loving them! The 'lounge' will look SOOOO good once we get rid of this hideous caramel & terracotta wallpaper...

...technically, it is now 'next year' so I can start thinking about tearing that wallpaper off, right?

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!