crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Monday, December 03, 2007

Ups and Downs

For starters, I feel like I'm wasting my life on hold. Over the past 3.5 days I've spent more than 8 hours on the phone with BT, our telephone and internet provider. At this point I'm ready to strangle the first BT employee I can get my hands on. We didn't realize until we moved and our BT internet phone worked before our internet was even connected that there is a logical reason we've been getting £175 phone bills - the free evening & weekend with supercheap international calls plan we signed up for was never properly installed, so we've been paying full rates for all of our calls! This saves us £70 from our last bill alone! Problem is, everyone at BT is too f**king stupid to know how to deal with the past bills and requisite rebates. Grrrrr.

Now I've got to add calls to our home insurance provider to the list, as I battle to get some sort of compensation for our stolen bikes. Did I mention that we suspect the teenage dirtbag from next door? And so begins the saga of the White Trash Neighbours.

On the upside:

Riccardo and I had a fabulous impromptu date night on Friday! By about 7:00pm, we had given up on getting anything from BT for the evening, and were starting to think about dinner. Cooking? ha! Not after that week! Take away? Naw. Japanese? Hmmmm...

Figuring we should take advantage of living in the city, we Googled "Japanese restaurants," and found a good half dozen in our fair town. We decided to try one downtown, in a posh shopping centre called The Mailbox. Shogun Teppanyaki turned out to be a vibrant, flashy place with fantastic fool! The line-up was out the door and the teppan chefs were very professional with their jazzy slicing-dicing-flaming-tossing-extravaganza. Though our lovely meal cost us a good £75, it was worth it just for the AMAZING spicy maguro (aka tuna) - this dish was not the cheapy tuna mince of old, but thick chunks of fresh maguro in a chilli-maki delight!

Mmmmmm maguro!

We topped off our fabulous dinner choice with a walking tour of the Birmingham nightlife - a first for me! My previous impression of Birmingham was not a good one, but this all changed when Riccardo introduced me to the labyrinth of canals with winding walking paths, and to Broad Street, a crazy party strip to rival Roppongi, Tokyo! If only I had my girls and we were 21 again! ;)

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!