crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Lately...

... I've been busy.

I'm trying to plan my lessons for next term, before we leave for Germany so that I don't have to spend the whole time I'm with Riccardo's family jabbing at my computer. This is a big feat, as the department actually wants me to teach something next term, rather than just practise writing skills. On the plus side, it's not quite so dull; but then how could it be dull trying to inflict The Tempest on surly 14-year-olds?

In other news, I've joined the Staff Choir. Yes, I'm that much of a nerd. Since my friend, Katie, is the Head of Music, and therefore the Choirmaster, and since my other friend, Amy, is gung-ho into it, I was wooed. Hey, I'm missing karaoke that much. We're doing a cheeky version of the 12 Days of Christmas in front of the staff at the weekly morning staff meeting tomorrow. Fun. Then next Monday is the official concert, which us girls have managed to coerce our boyfriends into attending. We've had two official practises, and most of the songs we're doing are UK Christmas carols to which I don't know the lyrics or the tune, so I'm sure to be quite the gongshow. Perhaps I can arrange for Riccardo to take a video...

More visa drama. Or at least the inklings of visa drama. I had to apply for my new visa by the beginning of January, and knowing that we'd be busy and/or away for Christmas, I decided in mid-November that I should apply before Christmas. This also had something to do with the fact that I was considering quitting my job, and wanted to get a more permanent visa sorted out before I potentially ended up unemployed. So assuming that one month was more than enough for processing (the High Commission in Canada processed it in a matter of hours, and I had the visa back in less than a week, from maildrop to pick-up) I sent it out on November 21st. I just received confirmation from the Home Office that it was received on November 22nd. It's now December 12th, we're leaving for Germany on December 23rd (already paid the £200 for a ferry reservation) and I have 7 business days left for my passport to be kindly returned to me. What's worse, Riccardo had to include his German ID card (like a passport within the EU) in my application. Because he's off to India in early January, he's now had to send his actual passport in for his own visa application (the Indian Embassy guarantees that in 7 working days), so he's actually document-less as well. Perhaps we won't be leaving the UK for Christmas after all... unless we can hightail our butts to London to pick up the documents ourselves (in which case my application is withdrawn and I have to start the whole process over again!)

Why does everything in the UK have to be so damn difficult?

And while I'm in that whiny mood, I'll just say how much I disprove of company Christmas parties where spouses and partners aren't invited. It probably wouldn't be so bad, but in conjunction with a couple business dinners that Riccardo has had to attend this week, we have been called apart for 4 evenings in a one-week period. And Christmas is supposed to be a time to be together with the people you love. Grrrrr.

Otherwise things are well. Heating is working, though we can't get the timer to ignite the damn thing on schedule. Commute to work is a bit of a pain, but so far livable. Christmas shopping is (tentatively) finished. We've made a new potential friend in our neighbourhood. Long story.

Well, not that long. While we were moving the last bit of furniture into the house, a man walking his dog spotted us and volunteered to help. As I mentioned before, my arms were shot at this point, so we were quick to accept. Of course pleasantries were exchanged. A few nights later, this man stopped by to shove his name and number through our mailslot. About a week after that he left a bottle of wine on our doorstep. How nice. So we have got in contact with him, and are hoping he and his wife can show us a good local pub sometime next week. It's good to meet the locals - the nice ones anyway. Which reminds me: one of our lovely neighbours left a bitchy note on my car informing me of where I should and should not park. I realise that he/she had mistaken me for someone who previously parked their car elsewhere and had recently decided to enhance the congestion in our complex's small carpark, when in fact we have just moved here and are as entitled to a space as anyone else, but please, give it a rest.

Quick word of congratulations to Sylvie, who just finished the last exam for the overall completion of her Masters Degree!! We all know what hard work you put in, Sylvie!! You soooo deserve a month raising lion cubs in Africa! xoxo

Mmmmm... my takeaway curry is here. I love curry. I love UK curry.

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!