crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Friday, December 07, 2007

Drama in the Classroom

I had just finished teaching first period this morning, and my students were lazily filing their way out of my classroom (as if they were in no hurry to vanquish my presence!) when disaster struck. One of my more 'challenging' year 11 students was retaliating in a pen-throwing war, and bent down to pick up a previously airborne writing implement, when his face collided with a desk. I watched as the whole thing happened before my eyes and though it seemed like slow motion, there was naught I could do to prevent it.

The student, NF's, eyes popped out of his head when his upper jaw made contact with the desk, and as he reeled backward I found myself jumping to escape being impaled by his mouth shrapnel: bits of his two front teeth went flying in all directions.

NF, now bleeding from the mouth like something from a horror film, and white as a cheese (German expression, ha!), at first proclaimed that it didn't hurt. He began walking out of the classroom to medical, and then back in like he couldn't understand what had just happened. And so I lead this disoriented, ghostlike boy to medical, leading him with my hand and repeatedly asking him if he was okay, despite my former dislike for the child. Halfway there he commented casually that his jaw hurt.

NF missed the rest of his lessons today, for what I assume involved some reconstructive dentalwork. Did I mention that NF just came to class today with his casts from both his previously-broken hands removed?

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!