crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Friday, January 18, 2008

The Weeks Past

Well, Riccardo's nearly returned from India. By the end of all of it, I'm actually not that jealous of him anymore. He really did spend nine 14-hour days at the Motor Expo, and he really did only have the one day for sight-seeing. What's more, the one day that Riccardo could tour around was also the one day (a week) that the Taj Mahal is closed! Poor guy! So now he's coming home, exhausted and with a collection of superfun bowel problems. He'll arrive tomorrow, Saturday, morning and then has to begin work again bright and early Monday. Good fun!

I've been busy in his absense. I've spent many-an-eve on the phone discussing wedding-related issues; I applied for another University; I've lesson planned up the wazoo; I've cooked and cleaned by myself, for myself; and, I've hung out with my new friend.

Kam and I share an office at school. She's just 29, but is already head of the Business Studies department at school. As she comes from a Punjabi background (having immigrated to the UK when she was 10), we were both very excited for her to show me an Indian part of town. We went to the Hall Green high street which was amass with Indian fashion shops (tons of gorgeous saris on display!) and Indian grocers! What fun! We then got some delicious Indian junkfood: veggie samosas, pakora and lamb wraps and went back to her place to enjoy! The best part: her place is just an 8 minute drive from ours!

School is going remarkably well. I have to say, I'm actually starting to enjoy it. Finally. I've always liked the lesson planning - even though it forces me to be WAY more organized than I ever was before - but now the classes are starting to go well, too. My worst class, a year 9 group, was reorganized. Some of the worst kids were transferred out, and some nice kids transferred in, and now it's competing for the spot of BEST class. Plus, we're going over really fun and interesting material in all three English classes ('Buddy' by Nigel Hinton; The Tempest by Shakespeare (duh!); and, 6 multicultural short stories by authors like Amy Tan). Of course Psychology is fab as usual. I am already taking on more responsibility: I have a 'mentee' to whom I am the school-based-parent, and they've started picking on me to do cover lessons as well as my own - they've implied that I'm good with even the classes I don't know! ha! But more responsibility means more reason for a raise, and I do deserve a raise. This is the hardest job x10 I've ever done! I still end up a raving loony after every year 11 lessson (which I get to enjoy six times per week), but I think I've decided to take the Uni program to get certified afterall.

It looks like our insurance claim for our two bikes that were stolen will be approved. It won't reimburse exactly what they're worth, but something is better than nothing. Our fish, however, are lost and gone, I think.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who called, sent a card or an email or just thought of me on the 7th. It was a happy birthday, of Japanese dinner and a movie (PS I Love You - god, I cried through the whole damn thing!), cake and champagne, a shopping excursion to Ikea and general pampering. Woe is 28, nonetheless.

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!