crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Progress

Yesterday after school I wrote a big long email to update everyone on the recent 'progress' and then I accidentally erased it all and couldn't get it undo. So here I am, a glass (insert: bottle) of wine and 3 hours of karaoke-by-myself later, and I have decided to give it another shot.

A crisis toward the beginning of last week. Didn't enjoy the 'another life decision' that was coming on. Having realised that the university program I was so proud to have been accepted for, and worked so hard to get into is not, in fact, transferrable to BC, my thoughs were kind of dark. I was thinking, okay, now is a good time to get into a nice, easy secretarial position. Funny thing: work less hours, have less stress, bring home more money, bring home less marking. Check.

I also enquired into the university-based PGCE teaching cert. program, half-heartedly. After very little consideration, I decided against that option. I can't bring myself to take a $30,000 pay cut to do the same job for free for 10 months while being condescended to by various snooty host schools.

Then I finally got a-hold of someone of influence at a school in Solihull (the posh area of Birmingham - about 20 minutes from my house) and was invited to interview for a GTP placement there. This is scheduled for Monday. Did I mention that it's a Catholic school? - meh, whatever.

A little more research told me that I actually may have a chance, with this GTP qualification, to transfer my credentials to the BC Independent School Board, if not the BC College of Teachers (elitist bastards). So at least I would, perhaps, have some chance at work in my home province if and when we ever get back there. Not so depressing then.

Fingers double-crossed that things go well with finding an alternate sponsor school for the program to which I've already been accepted; even better if I can find said school within say, a week or less. Otherwise, I may have to commit myself to Whitley for a whole second year. Ugh.

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!