crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

'Whinging'

As in, 'she's such a whinger,' or 'stop you whinging' - British English.

I'd like to take a minute to 'whinge on' about traffic queues. They are the bane of my existence lately.

For the week before half term break I had to contend with roadworks near to my school. That Monday I was over an hour late for school, having been stuck in a queue about 1 mile from my school for nearly two hours. I learned that lesson and started getting up promptly at 6:00 am so that I could leave the house TWO hours before I needed to be at work. The good news: just four more weeks of that particular bullshit.

Well, being tired all the time and having to be out of the house 12 hours/day for work are sacrifices one sometimes has to make. But what really caused this whinge-a-thon was this:

Yesterday morning I left the house at my new usual time of 7:00 am, only to get caught in a queue on the motorway. Not just any queue: a parking lot, to be more exact. So much so, that I actually fell asleep for a time, right there in my car. The radio confirmed that a lorry had caught fire right near my exit and that the motorway was, in fact, closed (the lorry that burned was a mere skeleton of steel by the time I saw it). Yeah, I only arrived at work 3.5 hours late. Good thing it was just a teacher training day.

Not as bad, but also whinge-worthy, was the traffic situation I found myself in yet again today. On the way home from work another lorry had apparently caught fire on the same motorway, which slowed my journey to a near-standstill yet again. Aren't there some sort of laws in this country that require lorry-maintenance to ensure no chance of spontaneous combustion?

God I hate traffic.

British English words used in this post: 7

1 Comments:

    • At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      That sucks. Every time I notice the Kamloops traffic getting worse, I'll just think of you.

       
    • Post a Comment


adopt your own virtual pet!