crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Hazy Shade of Autumn

...or pretty much any season here in Japan. Today was the most polluted day I have endured yet. Awful! Ok, it's Japan; yes, I live just enough away from Tokyo for the commute to be a bitch, but close enough to share it's pollution; alright, it's farming country and there are no bans on burning rubbish, but I think I still deserve the right to express my exascerbation at this atrocity.

I've written before about Tsukubasan, the mountain about 12 kms from Shimodate, and also, in its foothills, of Makabe, a town in which I teach. I've written before that on some days it's difficult to see Tsukubasan from Shimodate, the pollution being so thick. Today, however, was my day of working in Makabe: funny thing, driving into that town I still couldn't make out the contours of the mountain.

Not being able to see a mountain from 12 kms is one thing, not being able to see it from .25 kms is certainly another. No exaggeration. This is f%#&$^g disgusting. No wonder I have chronic allergies.

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!