crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Good Times, Good Nabe

How is it that one discovers the best things about a culture only upon one's departure?

Actually, I've known of Nabe ever since my Japanese-ex-boyfriend, but for whatever reason, didn't embrace it's delishiousness. In my favour, I have to point out that the grocery store doesn't carry some essential ingredients for this traditional Japanese dish through the summer months because it's a cool-temperature-only delight.

Why is it saved for the wintertime? Well, my kiddies, because, akin to fondue, it's both prepared and consumed at the table: the living room table, that is. It requires a portable propane stove to keep it at a constant simmer, which would turn an already sweaty summer abode into a veritable furnace.

Tressa's mom, Diane, is visiting from Saskatchewan (again) and I figured she wasn't getting much of a taste for real Japanese fare, since her dear daughter holds a great preferance for most foods Western; as such, I pulled out all the stops and threw a Nabe together. Actually, my predecessor was a big fan, so I already had the appropriate tools (stove, ceramic dish, etc.).

So what is Nabe? Well, it's a soup/fondue. One can choose from a variety of broths (soy, miso, kimchi, and so forth) in which they boil ingredients of their choice and then withdraw said ingredients using their ohashi (or chopsticks) and a ladle. Ingredients might include Chinese cabbage, a variety of mushrooms, a variety of squashes and/or aubergines, carrots and other root veggies, seafood (octopus, prawns, fish, mussles, and other yuck-yucks), various finely-sliced meats, udon or soba noodles, tofu... Ours featured beef, prawns, soba noodles and a plethora of veggies in a miso broth. Cho umai (very delicious)!

Unfortunately, now I'm wishing I could pack up my handy portable stove, a number of the super-cheap propane canisters, and my 20-pound ceramic Nabe bowl and bring them home with me. :(

1 Comments:

    • At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      I guess we can get something similar here, baby, so don't worry.

      P.S.: You are right - Nabe was quite delicious as far as I can remember...

       
    • Post a Comment


adopt your own virtual pet!