crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Friday, October 06, 2006

Mite! Mite!

Most of our schools provide lunch. I use the term "provide" loosely because it's actually just a ploy for free Eigo-no-Sensei interaction with the students (at most schools I eat in the classrooms). Sometimes the food is edible. Sometimes the kids are cute and well behaved. Sometimes not.

Well, we've reached the approximate halfway mark of this school year and as such, Tressa and I, at the one school that we visit together, have swapped schedules. This means eating lunch with a class of five-age kids who have never before experienced the joy of eating with their dear Eigo-no-clowns. Mayhem ensued.

These lunchtimes are usually chaotic, but yesterday's took the cake. I was accosted by grillions of "tit-slaps" (um, definition not required; it is what it sounds like), pokes and punches. Don't you know it's FUN to beat on your Eigo-no-clown? Of course there was the usual swarm of kids following me around to Junkin (Rock, Paper, Scissors) with me, over and over for no apparent reason. Add to that a torrent of "Eigo-no-Sensei, what's this called in English!?" (in Japanese, of course) to which I can give a correct answer only a fraction of the time. (Did I mention that I've told my student numerous times that my name is not "Eigo-no" but Crystal. I am Kulisutalu-Sensei, dammit!)

So I'm being inundated by children screaming over each other and trying to get me to name every last thing in the classroom in English, when three boys to my left start yelling:

"Eigo-no-Sensei!! Mite! Mite!" (Look! Look!) and asking what this particular object is called in English. I casually look over to find that the three of them have fully exposed their "chin chin" (wee-wees) and want me to identify them!

"Dame! Dame! No! Stop! Put those away!" Japan is full of little exhibitionists!

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!