crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Monday, December 19, 2005

Birthdays

Friday night I hosted a surprise birthday party for my good friend Jody. Turned out that she surprised us, walking into the apartment unannounced and shouting: "There's a freakin' party in here!!" Actually, she was surprised too, and only started suspecting that we weren't off for a night of kareoke when she pulled up to find my street lined with cars (despite my courteous reminders that guests park AWAY from the house). Since there were so many other vehicles Jody had to park a bit far and as such no one saw her walking up to the house. Oops.

About 20 people were in attendance for our Semi-Formal Potluck Appetizer Surprise Birthday/Christmas Party. Several great dishes were brought, and many people resorted to offerings of the alcoholic variety; Jody ended up with about 4 bottles of birthday champagne, 2 bottles of birthday wine and 1 bottle of birthday rum... not to mention the 4 litre bottle of Sho Chu I provided for us to drink!

Turns out that it was Yuka's birthday on the 11th... so we celebrated her birthday as well. She was in fightin' form since Hideki, her husband, forgot her special day (he couldn't attend the party because of work, or so I was told). With Mie's help, Yuka got into the birthday spirit, and the two were the life of the party, as usual. The girls and Hideki actually had to leave early because Yuka was chuckin' cookies.

We had a small gift exchange: Mie gave Tress, Jody and I sandals, inscense and ceramic elephants from her and Hidenori's Thailand honeymoon, and Tressa and I gave them their over-due wedding gift (12 CDs of Western music and an album with pics of all our mutual outings). Notice Mie's new and gorgeous haircut!!

Five or six people crashed at my house; most of whom spent a large part of Saturday hanging out here. My tiny apartment was the worst disaster I have EVER seen the next day... so bad that I actually had to take pictures. Took me over 2 hours to clean up!

As well as being mildly hungover, I was feeling rather rundown Saturday and decided to take it easy. Tressa left early to pick her mom up from the airport: yeah! After Jody and I went to dinner her pals from Ami (who bailed on Friday's party at the last minute) came down and wisked her away to kareoke. I went to sleep early.

Sunday I felt like death warmed over. I had been battling a cold all week last week, and I suppose it finally caught up with me. I postponed my afternoon lesson with Yoshiko to Tuesday and stayed in bed almost all day. Sleeping, sleeping, sleeping. I need to get well before I leave for Canada; 4 days to go!!

2 Comments:

    • At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      hey cristal!!!
      LOOKs really FUN(as usual(^0^)
      wish I could join u guys...too bad:(
      Fishing trip was fun(I will show u some photo later ne!)

      Hope to see you before you go to Canada!!!
      if not... HAVE A GREAT TIME BACK HOME!!!!!
      ***Merry christmas & A Happy New Year***

      Love, NORI

       
    • At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Crystal-It was a super party as always! I had a great time and just wanted to say I miss you. We'll do it again when Mama leaves...talk about it....

       
    • Post a Comment


adopt your own virtual pet!