crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Nearly Nihongo


Guess what!?! Today I read my first word in Japanese!!

I've been studying Hiragana and Katakana (2/3 of the Japanese character systems) for about a week, since I found an awesome tutorial book while helping Tressa clean out her closet. The book associates the characters, which formerly looked like doodles to me, with pictures corresponding with the sounds of the characters. I have most of the 46 basic Hiragana and about 1/3 of the 46 basic Katakana memorized. I'm really excited about this because it's the first step to mastering Japanese, or so I'm told!!

So, what word did I read all on my own??? TANKATSU! The best part, I understood the meaning!!! Tankatsu is a pork fillet fried Tenpura style and served with a yummy seasame BBQ sauce (the word was on a restaurant sign). Maybe my mom should be recording "Tankatsu" in my baby book???

(NB. the character shown is Kanji for "pimp" - ha!)

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!