crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Thursday, September 29, 2005

On Six Months...

I can't believe it's been six months already! I'm officially a quarter done my pre-designated time here in Japan. Here are my thoughts on the last six months:

Being in Japan is a challenge every day; one cannot just pop into the conbini (convenience store), find what one needs, and chit-chat with the clerk; it is often nightmarish to pre-plan meals with exotic (or even staple) ingredients because of the inability to decifer lables at the grocery; it's impossible to stroll into a clothier and grab something to wear... women's clothes are literally size 6 and under; driving in
Japan is still as trying as the first time behind the wheel: ever stressful, slow-paced, and annoying... not to mention that getting lost is usually unavoidable. Living in Japan will never be as carefree as living in Canada. There is not only a language barrier (which is supposedly surmountable at some point) but also a cultural one; to be on the receiving end of racism is a great lesson, and although I've experienced a fairly mild version, I would encourage everyone to walk a mile. And, of course, every day I am reminded, in some small way, that I am an ocean away from my friends and family and despite my usual positive exuberance, I miss everyone terribly. There is this feeling that no one will ever truly understand my life here, while it would mean more than anything to share it with my loved ones; this is my greatest saddness.


On the plus side, I considered the idea of living abroad for years before I came, which, I think, emotionally prepared me for the move. I researched and collected second-hand information about Japan in an effort to reduce the effects of culture shock; to date, it's been a fairly smooth transition. If I could change anything about my preparation for and early time in Japan it would be to have taken Japanese language classes before my departure.

At six months, I think I can honestly say that coming to Japan was the best decision I have ever made. I feel lucky every day to be here (especially in the position I am in). I now have relationships with people from all over the world; our common lost-in-a-foreign-land aura has united us in bonds that I know will last a lifetime.


Having spent the entirety of my pre-Japan life in school, I think I have learned an important lesson: school is not life. Sure, I learned how to write a well-formatted and grammatically correct essay, but university provided me almost no actual LIFE experience. I will never be able to truly express in words what I have learned about myself and the "important things" here in Japan, but I know it has a lot to do with maturity, perserverance, committment and responsiblity.

I will conclude this long-winded and terribly melodramatic rant with a comment on the beauty of Japan: majestic and intrepid, Japan is not only visually impressive, but also culturally and spiritually so. The Japanese people are uniquely and perfectly suited to their lives, and in this perfection, they are able to almost merge with the landscape. Japan is in itself an oxymoron, a contrast, that allows a profound respect and admiration for this place, but also, I have found, encourages a truer appreciation of my home.

2 Comments:

    • At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      wow crystal. I'm so glad that you are getting so much out of this experience. Although I was not in one place for 6 months, I know what you mean about experienceing another culture and growing as a person- it is life changing. I also knwo what you mean about not being able to fully express your experience with us at home. You're doing a good job. and anyone who has travelled long term will understand. Good for you. luv amy

       
    • At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      I wonder what you would say about this blog now, over a year after you actually posted it...

       
    • Post a Comment


adopt your own virtual pet!