crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Movie Review: Sin City


With online publishing at my fingertips (I tell ya, the Journalist in me has never had it so good!) I feel I must say my piece on nearly everything; including movies.

Movie Outing #3 was impromtu and fortuitous. Tressa and I saw Sin City tonight; a movie that has been released for some time in North America, I'm sure. Nevertheless, here is my critique:


Unwittingly walking into yet another comic spinoff, we found ourselves deciding that Quentin Tarantino had something to do with this film before the opening credits stopped rolling... an art film; Pulp Fictionesque.

The characters were overly theatric, the scenes comically perfect, the sound effects, gore, and T&A exaggerated and gratuitous, but only as was necessary to create such genius dramatic snapshots.

The cast, including some of my personal favourites, (Bruce Willis, Josh Hartnett, Clive Owen, Brittany Murphy, Benicio Del Toro, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood, Micheal Clarke Duncan, Nicky Katt, Alexis Bledel, Rosario Dawson...) performed well in their stereotypical roles and seemed bizarrely well-selected for their parts, however far from their usual type-casts. One noteworthy observation was that Benicio looked like shit; what was likely the staging, lighting and theatrical makeup made him look like a sallow junkie (which didn't strike me as part of his character). Perhaps it was the combination of nose and chin implants and the creepy demeanor of his character that swayed my opinion of him from heart-throb to weirdo-washup.

Overall, I'd have to say the cinematography won me over. I'd give Sin City 3.5/5 and suggest, if you still have the opportunity, you see it on the big-screen for full effect.

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!