crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Sunday, January 24, 2010

What's been going on?

O'er this side of the pond... not much. We're busily recovering from a whirlwind Christmas with more whirlwindedness.

As you may know, Riccardo returned from India on the 13th. We both had a day off on Thursday the 14th - me because there was a gas leak at school so we couldn't open that day, nor Friday, neither! Woo-woo! Anyway, it was the first weekend we were home alone in a month, so we were happy to chillax and catch up on housework.

It was also my belated 30th birthday party! Predictably, I dragged everyone to karaoke and Thai in the city centre. It was great, as usual! Lots of good laughs, especially at/with (?) Riccardo singing a crazy rendition of 'Roxanne'. OMG! Thanks to all who attended, and of course, for the lovely gifts!

Last week at work was busier than usual, because I had to catch up with what I'd left undone since company was over. Plus there was Year 9 parents' evening. Fun. And Year 11 parents' evening this coming week - it'll be the first one where I may actually have something nice to say about most of my class. They've miraculously turned themselves around since I started out with them last year - we accomplish something every lesson and I don't usually have to psych myself up just to walk into the classroom to them! Amazing.

This weekend Riccardo and I spent some time with our friends on his side: on Friday we went for fabulous Moroccan with Andy, his desk-neighbour at work. Haven't seen Andy in a while, so it was good to catch up. Then last night we went over to John and Michelle's for dinner. John also works with Riccardo, but in IT, and it was our first visit to their place (though we've been out with them a few times). It was great fun - John and Michelle have a four-month-new addition to their family in the form of supercute Lucas, and he was rivalled for attention by his older and much more boisterous sister, Isabel, who's 4 next week. So cute! So I spent most of the evening playing with Isy, and we all took turns on the Wii that was the family Christmas present. Because it was a Robert Burns Day celebration (the Scottish festive traditional actually falls on 25th Jan.), we all had to try haggis! Ugh! You'll all be very surprised that I did actually try some, and then promptly scooped the rest on to Riccardo's plate when John and Michelle were out of the room. Thankfully, they also served veggie-haggis, so I was saved! Hahaha!

BTW, Robert Burns was a famous Scottish poet who wrote, 'To a Mouse'. This was the very poem from which John Steinbeck pinched the title of his novel, 'Of Mice and Men'. A connection I was able to make all by myself when John mentioned the occassion. I'm very proud. ;)

What's up and coming? Hmmm... I'm going on a work outing next Saturday, which should be very fun. There's about 30 of us younguns going out in Brum. I'm leaving Riki at home. He's happy about that. :)

The next weekend I'm off overnight on Friday to a swanky NQT (newly qualified teacher) conference in Stratford. It's in a posh country hotel, and we all get our own rooms and access to the leisure facilities and a 3-course dinner. I'm excited actually. Weird. The next night we're having the lovely Tony and Mary over for dinner. We haven't seen them in ages, except when they popped by to bring me a bottle of bubbly for my birthday. We're also hoping to arrange a get-together with our great pals, Donna and Mat. It's been too long since that, too! And in between it all, work, work and more work.

I guess you could say life is back to normal. :D

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!