crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Monday, December 07, 2009

'At the dogs'

The festive season has officially begun. It seems our Christmastime engagements multiply exponentially year on year. So far, I think this is a good thing, but wait.

To kick of the holiday festivities, on Saturday we attended a party hosted by one of Riccardo's suppliers from work. In true British style, it was located, 'at the dogs', which means, at the dog races.

You heard me. Never thought I'd find my way to the greyhound track, but somehow it happened.

Actually, it was a riot! The people were lovely, the food delicious, the bar open ('nuff said) and our executive box gave us a view of the whole track. The hosts even provided us with 10 pounds betting money to get started. And thanks to me, 10 quid was all we needed!

At the dogs, people tend to stick with low bets; the fun is in the winning, not in the winnings, if ya get me. So that's what I did. I'm not really into gambling anyway. In the first couple races, I tried my hand at a variety of techniques, such as betting on dogs to place (come in the top three) and splitting my odds (betting on a couple possible dogs to win, either/or). But my real luck came through when I started betting to win. My technique: pick the dog with the funniest name. And it worked, by golly! I managed to pick the winning dog in 6 out of 12 races! - there were 13 races, but we sat one out; and there are 6 different dogs per race. Woo-hoo!

So despite Riccardo losing much of my horde through his closely-analysed statistical betting technique, we still left with nearly 25 quid - 15 more than they gave us in the first place! Such a good time.

Yeah, there are already plans in the works to return: it's been suggested that we take the in-laws when they visit, on Boxing Day! hahaha!

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!