crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Sunday, November 01, 2009

Happy Hallowe'en

Hallowe'en is still my favourite non-holiday holiday. This Hallowe'en is the first in 3 years that Riccardo and I have been able to celebrate together (last year he was in Germany, and the year before, Japan, both for work) so we decided to have a little shindig. I even carved a little Hello Kitty jack-o-lantern! Since we bought masks when we were in Venice, we decided to use them and be masquerading Venetians. We even rented Riccardo a hooded cloak. Very scary! But, boy are those masks annoying to wear! - mine lasted about half an hour!

Wholly against British tradition, I made the dinner pot-luck. Who wants to cook all day, geez!? Well, actually, I still did cook all day, because I tried a new recipe (rice, mushroom and cheese filo pie - mmmmm!), made 160 wontons (most of which we froze for Christmas), and baked camembert with walnuts. Riccardo tried to make his famous pizza, mini style, but they all stuck to the pizza stones - disaster! Nonetheless, the great thing about pot-luck is that you get to try different dishes, and I didn't have to do the dessert, which I suck at.

So, as I said, we provided pie, cheese, wontons and mini-pizzas. Mike and Liz came and brought more mini pizzas (this time on puff pastry) and oatmeal cookies. Beata and Martin brought a veggie salad and a lemon cake. Mari brought Chinese pudding. And Kate and Rob brought beef curry. Delicious - all of it! After our extensive 3-course meal, the gang proceeded to play board games. Laughs were had by all. Remember, N.B.M.A stands for, National Bank of Mexico, Actually. Thanks for that one, Liz!

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!