crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Meeting Ryukyusan: Okinawa

From Shikoku I flew to Okinawa: the southernmost group of islands comprising Japan. Okinawa is a tropical getaway for Japanese people, though it wasn't so tropical in early December. Had it not been cloudy for my whole vacation, I probably would have swam; the white sand beaches and crystal-clear blue water were breathtaking. Still, I enjoyed the mild 20+C weather and took full advantage with my T-shirts and capris.

Day One found me in Naha city. I biked from my hostel to the vibrant Kokusai Dori, where there were tourists and shopping aplenty. Every shop carried some variation of the legendary Ryukyu dragon. Later, I took the new skytrain to Shuri where I visited Shurijo, or castle. But finding Naha a little boring, I spent the later part of Day One shopping for a rental car. I found such a great deal that I decided to rent for TWO days!

With my peppy Mazda rental, I headed North for Day Two, stopping off at picturesque beaches and sprawling resorts along they way. By early afternoon I made it to Okinawa World, a beautiful Flower Park and Aquarium. I was most taken by the manatees, which are said to be the subject of early mermaid legends.


South for Day Three, to a 1.5km-long stalgamite cave and traditional Okinawan village (which, predictably, doubled as an arts & crafts market). After hiking through the cave and touring the shops, I followed the coastline to a small marina where I boarded a small glass-bottomed boat for a cruise through the coral reef. Grillions of brightly-coloured fish meandered below me and the couple that rounded-out our tour group, but the unanimous favourite were the Nemos who cuddled up to the anenome.

Finally, I ended my site-seeing with a sky-high ride on a ferris wheel in Kadena. Kadena is the location of the oppressive American military base that has overtaken much of Okinawa honto since WWII; it was interesting to view lengths of barbed wire and busy security gates next to modern day Japan and white sand.

After a crazy mini-vacation and a whirlwind Christmas shopping trip in Tokyo, I arrived back at Tressa's apartment in Chikusei in one, very tired, piece. What a great way to end my Japan experience!

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!