crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Happy Wedding?

Today I inadvertently walked into my last day at one of my kindergartens. I spent the first half of the classes trying to convince them that I'd be back once more. See, next Thursday is a Stat. Holiday, and the school's apparently cancelled English classes on the following Thursday, which would be my last.

At the end of each class students came up and presented me with a gift: origami "Thank You" medals, booklets of drawings of me (all rather hideous/hilarious depictions), etc. I almost cried several times and this isn't even one of my better-known schools - I guess I'll be something of a blubbering idiot at schools where I know students by name. With the presents I got the usual,

"Sank You Bery Muchi!" and
"Sayonara!" (goodbye), and
"Kyosukete ne!" (take care), but also,

"Happy Wedding!"

Ummmmmm, Thanks? Not really sure where that one came from. Don't have enough Japanese skills to explain that I'm not getting married. And this isn't the only time students and/or teachers and/or principals have wished me a happy wedding! WTF!?

My guess is that either it was assumed that when I said I was moving to Germany for my boyfriend that I'm getting married, or that when schools were told by Cynthia and/or Hiro that I'm leaving it was also insinuated that I'm leaving to get married!! Nundaiyo!?! (what the hell?!)

And why "Happy Wedding" instead of "Happy Marriage?" Isn't happiness in a marriage more important? I mean, Japanese people also know the word marriage; it's in about 5% of Love Hotel names: Hotel Marriage. You know, because so many married couples frequent those establishments!

In any case, I want to be clear, for those of you who read this blog:


I AM NOT ENGAGED!

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!