crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Whirlwind Adventures in Shikoku

Immediately after packing up my apartment and finishing my last day of work, I was off on a mini-adventure to the South of Japan! My long-time private student, Yoshiko, invited me for a weekend in her hometown of Matsuyama, Shikoku where we stayed with her very hospitable family. From the minute we entered the Arrivals Lounge at mini Matsuyama Airport to the minute I found myself back at that airport for departure we were GO-GO-GO!

First we drove for 1.5 hours to a small island connected to Shikoku (the southmost of the four main islands comprising Japan) by a long bridge. Lunch was a very scary affair consisting of picnic tables in a fish market. You know that's gonna be KAWAI!! Though my food was literally walking off my plate, I ate everything given to me with a smile, only my sense of adventure preventing me from ralphing.

After a panoramic viewpoint and a pirate museum, we headed back to the main island and perused a lacquerware shop, where pieces of this Japanese artform were priced in the hundred-thousands (of Yen). Back at the Imada homestead, Mrs. Imada, or Imada-san, presented us with a feast she spent the day preparing. It consisted of a traditional Shikokan nabe (soup) and various types of tempura; Oishi! After dinner, Yoshiko and I tried out a local, partially outdoor, onsen: this was my first and only onsen experience - something I had been dreading for a while due to the public nudity factor. Actually, with only Japanese people in site, it wasn't that bad.

Early to bed, early to rise: Mr. Imada, or Imada-san, Yoshiko and I first headed to number 55 of the 88 Shikokan Shrines; constructed centuries ago by a single monk, people now travel from all over the globe to do pilgrimages to all of the shrines. Fortunately earth from all 88 was located at number 55, so we managed to save ourselves some time.

Next we headed to newly refurbished Matsuyamajo, or castle. None of us knew that the opening ceremonies for the castle were that day, so we felt very lucky to chairlift-up to a parade and festival. Many locals had dressed in traditional garb, and there was plenty of music and authentic Japanese festival-food.

Unfortunately, my early flight prevented us from staying at the castle long, so we left early and made a quick stop at the Dogo Onsen, which is the oldest public bathhouse/hot spring in Japan. A delicious U-don lunch and it was back to the airport for a thanks-filled farewell.



0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!