crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Monday, May 29, 2006

Wasting Weekends

Friday morning I woke up sick. Ugh. Not too bad... but my throat was sore, and despite my never-ending congestion and coughing, I don't often have a sore throat. I did my best to gear-up for the long day ahead.

Three play classes into the day I knew this throat thing was gonna kick my ass. Three down, seven to go. By my first break I dragged myself out to my car, se
t the alarm on my keitai and dropped into a fitful catnap. By my second break, which is 1.25 hours long, I wasn't playing games. I pulled the blanket and pillow from my hatch (camping gear that lives there as my apartment has little closet space), nestled onto my back seat and zonked out. Six down, four to go.

Three-year-olds. Ugh. Thankfully their mothers weren't there to watch me this time, so we had a "quiet" lesson of ABC BINGO and Letter "I" worksheets. Thankfully this is only their second class with me so they are all too scared of me still to run around the room screaming and killing each other. Thankfully it ended quickly.

Third break, 20 minutes. At this point I am too beat to drag myself back to the car, so I just laid my aching body down on the hardwood. Last three classes pretty much involved colouring and doing what the kids wanted, quietly. I learned that the kids in my last class know the phrases "ambulance to hospital?" and "go home and rest?" when they were trying to ascertain how ill I really was.

Riccardo actually lives closer to my Friday school than I do. I went there after work so he could take care of me. Actually, our plan was to go out to dinner, a plan that I ruined because I could not extricate myself from his carpet. I did manage to get up and eat at least half of the dinner that he made for us instead before returning to bed (/floor... you know, futons) and complaining that he needed to turn the A/C on. Yeah... turned out to be me. Dr. Riccardo found a thermometer in his trusty medical bag and we found that I had a temperature of 38.4. Not great. So then he made me drink eighteen grillion gallons of hot tea and called his mom for advice. I ended up with a cold towel wrapped around my calves and instructions to sleep, which I promptly did.

I ruined more plans on Saturday. My formal and written apologies to Shigeru, and Riccardo, for causing us to bail out on the long-awaited Kanuma(?) fireworks show. I know both these guys were pretty disappointed that we couldn't make it (despite my attempts at insisting Riccardo go without me) and honestly, so was I. Sorry boys.

Instead, Riccardo drove me back to Chikusei where I laid on my couch for the duration of several DVDs and was inundated by more tea. Saturday night was also Tressa's birthday bash, which was held in her apartment downstairs from mine. We had planned to go after the fireworks and had to make an appearance no matter my condition. I pulled myself together as best I could, and we met up with hordes of party-goers for some laughs. Though Riccardo had a couple drinks and was quite genki, I basically leaned on him and tried not to sleep. We left early, though it was great fun. So nice to see some peeps who haven't been around much lately.

Sunday I was feeling moderately better, so we decided to go out for some light activity. Jody-chan joined us for our escapade to Tsukuba Cineplex where we just missed the afternoon viewing of The Da Vinvi Code. Riccardo instead bought us all tickets for the 5:45pm show and went for a lovely Italian dinner in the meantime. And such was the end of my wasted weekend.

I made it through today, Monday, without over-doing it. I'm headed for an early night and some good rest because tomorrow will make-or-break my kicking these white-blotchy, golf-ballish tonsils into normalness. Hopefully next weekend will be more productive...

Did I mention that Riccardo's parent arrive this Friday?

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!