crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Camilla Parker Bowles

As it happens, Riccardo lives in the same town as my dear friend Anna (Kiwi), which is quite a feat as the town actually classifies as a village. Tsuga Village, however, immediately neighbours Tochigishi, or Tochigi city, which can be a happening place. Having dragged Riccardo and Anna (and Dave, English) to our neck of the woods time and time again, we agreed that it was high time we brought the party to Tochigi.

Our Friday evening started at High Times, a western-style pub about 5 minutes from Riccardo's. Apparently not a popular hang-out, the pub was nearly dead. I thought I saw a tumbleweed blowing amonst the tables. The cowboyish ambiance was rather incongruent with the jazz music; as it turns out, Riccardo HATES jazz and requested a change. We were all delighted with the 80's tunes then pumped.

Riccardo brought his work colleague and friend, Shigeru to dinner. I had been wanting to meet the much-talked-about pal for some time and was not disappointed. Shigeru (Shiggy) was just a warm and jovial as Riccardo promised. Though he had to call it an early night for work reasons, he has promised to join in karaoke at a later date (apparently he has a very good singing voice). I hope to see much more of him.

Further reason that the pub is not popular could stem from the S-L-O-W service and over-priced drinks, but we weren't in the complaining mood. After some nachos, pizza and a few beers, the nine of us (Anna, Dave, Treva (American), Jody, Tressa, Alan (Canadian, Winnipeg), Brian (Irish), Riccardo and I) headed to Shidax (Please!). The inherent coolness of a town can be measured on the presense or lack of Shidax, our favourite karaoke joint.

Since there were only two smokers in the crowd, we happily got to veto smoking in our karaoke room (usually this is a MAJOR problem as all the non-smokers end up with sore throats from the fumes in those confined little rooms).

It was a fantastic evening of song, pocky and grapefruit chu-his. Though Riccardo and I lasted only until just after 3am, the rest of the group gave 'er into the wee(r) hours - we had the room until 5am. Thanks to the Tochigites/Tsugans for hosting our highly entertaining Tochigishi-Night-Out (Anna, Riccardo & Treva)!!


Sidenote: you might like to know that I spent 40 minutes straightening my hair for the aforementioned evening out. Shortly after finishing, my dear boyfriend asks me,

"Do you know of Camilla Parker Bowles?"
"Of course I do," I reply, "She's the new princess."
"Hmm, well how do you feel about her hair?" Riccardo asks
"...what are you implying?" - I'm already catching on to where this is going,
"YOU LOOK LIKE CAMILLA PARKER BOWLES!!!!" laughs my terrific man
"SHE'S LIKE 80, YOU ASS!!!"

Good times, good times. Actually, I looked like old Camilla for about two seconds because as soon as I stepped out of Riccardo's "leo-palace" (bachelor apartment) the F#*%ing humidity ruined it. Apparently mid-May is already too humid for any sort of hairstyle! F#*%!

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!