crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Curl Up & Dye

You lady-types might appreciate this escapade...

I finally found a stylist in Japan. It took over a year, but I have dear Anna-chan to thank. My stylist is named Nobu and, surprisingly, he is JAPANESE. Understand, when I arrived in Japan the first line in the rulebook read something like this:

Never allow a Japanese person to cut your hair! - they are FAR too fond of the razor!

Well, I figured that since Nobu and his wife spent 12 years owning a salon in New Zealand, and since 75% of their current clientel is gaijin, I would chance it. And, I'm happy. YAY! Happy, happy me!

I had two shades of blonde foiled in (to mask not only my gastly 2-inch roots, but also my abhorrent grey! AH! I'm only 26!!!) and a cut. I was perhaps a little overzealous in my description of my desired length, as it is SHORT (above shoulder-length), and Nobu-san was perhaps a little overzealous in his approximation of my "fringe," but overall I'm satisfied.

As it turns out, some things in Japan are NOT more expensive. My last cut&colour, provided by the fabulous Ken, cost approximately $190 CN, including tip. Nobu's work was $147, no tip required (for three hours of continuous attention from not only the stylist, but also his dreamy young assistant!) On the downside, getting to Zooto Equatorial Salon, which is in Roppongi cost an additional $45... so in the future I'll be wise to make my appointment for a date on which I am already in the Toyko region.

Eh, whatever. YAY! A stylist!! (too bad it's already too humid to actual DO my hair).

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!