crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Oliver Twist

Met up with some lovely ladies (Tressa, Nori, Anna & Treva) last night for our semi-regular Ladies Night: Dinner & Movie in Oyama. We had all been looking forward to seeing Oliver Twist, and it was finally here!

I thought I knew the story of Oliver, but I guess I just knew the songs. And you know, a story can seem ever-so-much lighter when catchy tunes are intermittently chorused. Oliver Twist is a dark story, much darker than I anticipated. But then, Director Roman Polansky favours darkness, doesn't he? That's not to say I was disappointed.

It took me a good half hour to realize which role Ben Kingsley was playing; he was a masterful Fagin. Seriously, I am ready to add Kingsley as #3 on my list of all-time favourite actors. I wasn't sure whether Fagin added the right amount of creepiness or the right amount of humour to this rendition of a classic, but he sure added the right amount of something.

The casting was quite perfect also. Newcomer, Barney Clark faultlessly conjured innocence for his role of Oliver; pre-teen stunner Harry Eden likewise portrayed boy-gone-wrong, Artful Dogdger, with mischevious ease.

Some might think the word "classic" translates into "overdone and boring" but a terrific cast, an astute director and picturesque scene images lend themselves to this first-rate recreation of Oliver Twist.

Four out of five stars.

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!