crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Monday, January 16, 2006

c.o.l.d.

do you know what happens when you put olive oil in the refrigerator? it gets so thick that it won't pour. so people, please don't leave your olive oil in the refrigerator, or in my apartment.
my beautiful lucky bamboo agrees, it's cold. i think it's the ice forming around its little ceramic bathtub that is causing my sole plant to die a bitter yellow death. not my fault, i might add.
a tourist might think this weather quite mild... hotels are heated. my cardboard walls do not insulate me. i freeze. always.
yet, japanese people seem also to think this weather mild. at my kindergartens the kids still run through the playground in shorts and bare feet, they are often topless to boot. crazy buggers. i freeze. always.
hmmmm... an exception: i do not freeze when teaching; in fact, i boil. teachers who apparently sense that i freeze the rest of the time have come together to sweat me to death, or asphixiate me, either/or. as soon as i enter their classroom they run to their little heaters and crank what needs cranking... before long the room is putrid with kerosene, and stiflingly hot. great environment in which to be genki!

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!