crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Monday, January 16, 2006

My Non-birthday Party


Well, I didn't turn 26 on the 7th of January, not exactly anyhow. And how, you ask, can I figure this one??

I departed Canada at 12:20pm on January 7th, and crossed the International Dateline approximately three hours later; this means that, for me, my birthday was only about 15 hours long. I deduct that since I was not party to an entire 24-hour birthday this year, it does not quite count. As such, I will remain 25 for another year. Or, as my good pal Dan decided, I
actually found a loophole in the system and reverted back to 14. Dan my dear, what are you implying?

Anyhow, not only did I have a quaint luncheon with Canada-folk and a terrific fondue dinner with family to celebrate this non-birthday, but my Japan-friends threw me quite a hootinanny as well. Actually, we were celebrating Daichi's 25th birthday (on the 10th) and Trav's goodbye (omg! ***sniff***) as well.

Tressa stole away from her mom for the evening and met Jody at my apartment. It was so great to see my ladies, since it's been nearly a month. We definitely had some catching-up to do. Not only
did the girls shower me with all the latest gossip, but also with gifts!! YAY!

The Score: 20 hand-coloured DVDs (from Rebecca & Mike), $50 GC and CD (from Kelsey), professional hemming of 4 pairs of pants, sheets, DVD player (unfortunately returned), necklace, jagermeister & redbull & money (from parents), caesar fixins (Ashley),
hand-made scarf (Shortbus), earrings (Amy), necklace (Nori), nicknacks (Daichi & the ladies), planted roses (Mie & friends), DVD player, champagne set w/champagne, nailpolishes & stickers & birthday cake (Jody & Tressa)... (My apologies if I forgot anything/one. It's not because I'm not appreciative, it's because I'm so freaking spoiled!) Crazy!!!!

Saturday was the big night. We met
up with everyone (by everyone I mean about 25-30 friends) at the izakaya (pub) we frequent in Yuki. It was terrific!! Yeah, I was drunk before we left my house... so... yeah. After spending several more hours drinking we headed to a divey club in Oyama. Divey. So divey that at one point the music of choice was the song from the Disneyland Electric Lights Parade; of course many of us chose to march around the dance floor saluting wildly to this ditty!! We were pretty much the only people there... which was actually kind of cool since there were enough of us to make it fun. I danced the night away, generally making a fool of myself as per usual; alas, this time I can get away with it because it was, afterall, my non-birthday.

Miraculously no cookies were chucked neither during the evening nor the next day, likely because of a early-morning stop at
Denny's. I'm pretty sure the Denny's staff went birzirk when 15 people staggered in at 5am. Weren't prepared for that.

Jody and I stumbled onto my futons around 6:30am, as dawn approached, only
to be awoken by Tressa thundering down my door at 10am (she had to take her mom to the beach Sunday (ugh!) and needed my hanko (stamp, equivalent to my signature) for a dinner with our bosses). Oh the hangover!

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!