crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

The BEST FRIGGIN' CHRISTMAS EVER!!!

My dear sister, Rebecca, had been planning for months to usurp any Christmas festivities previous to this; she handcrafted all her gifts (including burnt DVDs with hand-drawn labels, marshmallows, Christmas cards, gift bags, cajun spice, salsa, fudge, scarfs, etc. etc. etc.) as well as %*#&loads of food.

After my aforementioned night of debauchery, I was again whisked off to Victoria at 8:15am. At this point I was clocking approximately 4 hours of sleep over the previous 50. We arrived at my sister's at about 4:30pm on Saturday Dec. 24th and initiated alcohol consumption almost immediately. Mike, Rebecca's live-in boyfriend, and a family friend, Adam arrived shortly thereafter... bringing with them a plethora of cheeses and 6 bottles of wine.

Saturday night we enjoyed a fondue, consisting mainly of meat, meat and meat, that was quite fantastic. Of course this meal was not without its requisit inappropriateness; for example, my father telling lengthy jokes about vibrators-come-son-in-laws (uh Dad, what exactly are you implying?) Proving that he has a way to go before he can truly become a Hambrook, Mike barely finished his last bite of dinner before he staggered off to his room to pass out for the night (Haha!)

My Mom, Kelsey and I chanllenged the formidable "Team Win" to a game of '90's Trivial Pursuit where we proceeded to wipe the floor with them, thus bruising their over-inflated egos. And "Team Win" is no more.

Because this Christmas was the first outside my parents' house, all rules were subject to change; for the first time we declared Santy need not verify we kiddies were snug in our beds before extricating his ass from the fireplace, and put all the presents out ourselves on Christmas eve. As such, my mom was third to bite the dust (after Dad, who gave a valiant effort of staying up past his usual 8:30pm bedtime).

At some point, after consuming 8 bottles of wine between 3 or 4 of us, we realized it was 5:30am and were just about to head to bed when my Dad got up... of course this meant that it was time to OPEN PRESENTS!!! So, I was dragged from the sheets before I had time to even warm them, and the house was awoken (is that a word?)

We started with Mike's birthday presents, as the 25th is a 2-in-1 for him, poor fella; however, Christmas and birthday combined, this guy scored big-time. I cannot complain either, being the spoiled brat that I am; my loot included:

A web-cam, battery pack for camera, $150 GC for the cutting lounge, couple pairs of earrings, some clothes, about a million DVDs (burned copies from Mike and Rebecca), the SIMS 8-in-1 expansion pack, some music mixes, a whole bunch of homemade shit from Rebecca, just to name a few.

Adam and I went downstairs after present-opening to watch some of my new family-guy DVDs where I immediately conked out. Unfortunately I am sporting a wicked cold (as if that's an excuse!), and actually snored the poor guy out of his own bed!! Oops, sorry! Everyone spent nearly the whole of Christmas day sleeping, waking only for brunch: eggs benedict... MmmmMMmmm...

Christmas dinner was nothing short of fantastic, my sister truly is Martha Stewart... and you thought I was bad!! We watched no less than 4 movies throughout the day, including the mandatory Christmas flicks: Elf, 8 Crazy Nights, and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, as well as Kicking and Screaming, a newish G-rated Will Ferrel classic. We enjoyed birthday ice-cream cake, and had an early night.

Monday we got up in time to drive my sister to work, and then headed for the ferries. In Vancouver I dropped almost exactly $300 on clothes, not even denting my list of things-to-buy while I'm in Canada. Then, because we hadn't stuffed ourselves silly enough, we tried what turned out to be a terrific Western/Asian/Indian buffet. I rode home with something of a stomach ache.

Thanks Rebecca and Mike, for hosting an absolutely fabulous Christmas!! See you next year!

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!