crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Greetings from Great Britian

Hi Everyone!!

Yes, I am safe and sound in the UK. Riccardo has just started work, and I've been able to latch-on to an Internet connection (our real (paid) one should be up-and-running by Friday) so I've taken a minute to assure everyone that all is well.

First impressions of the UK:
  • It's not as rainy as I thought - so far we've had about half nice sunny days and half rainy cloudy days. Not too bad.
  • I don't know if I'll ever know my way around; driving is scary, and I've recently become aware of the woes of car-sickness - round-abouts are the devil.
  • OMG, how does anyone afford to live here!?! I knew the UK would be expensive, but I had no idea!!! The equivalent of $11 CN for four little chicken breasts! Or 2 salmon steaks for $12 CN, at HALF PRICE! City tax is going to cost us about 1250 Pounds per year; that's like $230 CN per month, for garbage pick-up!! Ahhhh! I tell ya, those garbage men better not fuss about picking up our moving boxes. Don't even get me started on what we're paying in rent.
  • On the other hand, seat sales on flights to Canada will cost us, at certain times, about 100 quid, one way. That's like less than 2 tanks of gas (current gas prices are at about $3.10 CN per litre).
  • Mmmm... Indian food. Enough said.
  • People seem nice, so far. At least those we've met from Riccardo's new work. Actually, we've been invited to a BBQ at the home of his new boss this weekend... ooooOOooh!

I should have more frequent access to the Internet soon, so please mail if you have questions or gossip. I'd love to hear the what's-what in your lives. Stay tuned to your inboxes for our new phone number.

Love yas!

2 Comments:

    • At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Hi Crystal! Glad to hear you are settling in in England! You will get used to everything costing a (not so) small fortune soon enough!
      Gambatte!
      Dave :)

       
    • At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Hey Cryssy! Glad you are there safe and sound! You are a lucky girl going to all these new and exciting places! (I am in Saskatchewan having the time of my life;) haha) Miss you!
      Tress

       
    • Post a Comment


adopt your own virtual pet!