crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Job Sitch

In the six weeks (today) that I've been in Germany I've put out approximately 093752876 resumees. I've had exactly ONE interview. Of course, the interview I was invited to was from the furthest possible place that I applied (I was getting desperate): B!#$%&z, Frankfurt. Anyhow, I got the job.

YAY ME!!

Besides this job meaning a 200km/day+ commute, there are some other reasons why I'm considering not taking it. The pay is abysmal: just 11.7- Euros per unit, which is WAAAAY below the industry standard here in Germany. No insurance or benefits are paid (which means that I have to pay them, in-country, myself in order to qualify for the visa). The required 2-week, full-time training session is UNPAID. To tell you the truth, I'm a little disappointed that such a well-known company can get away with this.

On the plus side, Frankfurt is a GREAT city and one I'm not opposed to spending time in. The "freelance" anti-contract would allow me to select my working hours at will - to a degree: overdone pickiness would lead to much fewer phone calls from the Scheduling Ladies - that meaning I can work as much, or little as I like. With 2-3 weeks notice, I can take holidays whenever I want, for whatever length of time I require. There is the long-term possibility to pick up a permanent contract (which would include aforementioned benefits, etc.) or to transfer to any Berlitz in the world. (Usually) the "Freelance" Visa provided for this type of position is not specific to any particular company, but would allow me to pick up hours at (the many) other language schools that offerred me part-time work (for more pay), though this would be rather hush-hush. Finally and probably most importantly, the school is about 5 meters from a major Frankfurt train station that features a terrific Asian Foods Market!!

Despite the negative bits, the most important thing is that there's a good chance I'd be granted a visa of some sort and not be deported, so I think I'm going to take the job. The last crucial detail I need to research: cost and time it'd take to get from our new town to the school.

Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

    • At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      ungh. that's quite the commute.
      visa: good
      200km, poor pay: bad.

      but whatevs. if taking this job means you can stay...

      don't feel like signing in,
      shortbus

       
    • At 4:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      I;m so excited for you!!! Congrats! BTW, I was in a kitchen store today and saw a raclette thingy and thought of you.

       
    • Post a Comment


adopt your own virtual pet!