crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Thursday, June 08, 2006

is it a pancake, is it a pizza, is it an omlette?

Okonomiyaki. No one really knows what it is. It's a mystery.

No, okonomiyaki is a traditional Japanese food
that usually resembles a pancake/ pizza/ omlette. My experience with this concoction has lead me to believe that cabbage, egg, and mayo are usual ingredients (not surprising since these are ingredients in pretty much EVERY Japanese meal). The type of meat, noodle, and vegetable assortment will vary. Okonomiyaki is usually prepared on a grill built-in to the table; it's like fondue, do-it-yourself. I have never successfully made this dish... it always turns out like scrambled eggs for me.

Last night the Weber's treated Riccardo, Shigeru and I to okonomiyaki at a hole-in-the-wall joint near Riccardo's apartment. The restaurant seems to be a popular hangout for young Japanese people, perhaps because they serve Litre-sized glasses of beer! We were lucky to have Shigeru there: not only was the menu in Japanese, but preparing the okonomiyaki variations seems to be something of an artform! We would surely have been lost without him!

Another fabulous evening with fabulous company! Arrigoto gozaimashita!


Apologies for the blurry photos: I had only my keitai-cam.

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!