crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Bureaucrats All Over The World

Time to convert to Japanese Driver's Licenses (not a big process: a short interview and an eye test). I'd been warned about the Mito Prefectural Department of Motor Vehicles. Maybe I thought I'd get by on good looks?

Tressa and I got up at 6:45am to drive 2 hours to Mito where we met up with our boss, Hiro. After getting some pictures taken, we waltzed into the DMV at 9:15. Applicants for Japanese Driver's Licenses are accepted only between 9 and 10:00am, so we were well within the time limits. After paying some fees and getting some documents, we were told to wait. So we waited. And waited. And waited.

Around 11:30 they finally called Tressa up to the counter where Hiro translated an interview about her driving record and how she originally got her driver's license. After about 10 minutes Hiro turned to me and asked what time I would have to leave in order to get to my classes that afternoon in time. "In about 15 minutes," I said. Quick conversation with the DMV woman, then: "ok, they can't take you Crystal, so you're going to have to come back another day." (Fuck off!) "You are kidding, right?"

This conversation was followed by my boss trying to get a confession from me that I have this coming Monday off of work (so that I can go to Mito first thing in the morning). Obviously having looked forward to my only 3-day weekend in months for months, I was less-than-willing to part with that tidbit of information... especially since the Japanese spoken by the DMV woman sounded to me like they were willling to take me after lunch.

My deduction: my boss(es) were unwilling to postpone my Optional classes from Friday to Monday afternoon even though it would save me about 8 or more hours of my time (OFF) and cost them nothing. BULLSHIT. I now have to get up on my day off 3 hours earlier than I would if I were working that day, only to sit in a DMV all day. Bitches.

Am I angry? I'm fucking spitting angry.

2 Comments:

    • At 11:29 PM, Blogger Fluffica said…

      that blows.what the hell was their issue? they usually seem like they are very helpful.

       
    • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Crystal said…

      they usually are very helpful. the line is drawn when time off is necessary. mention of working hours not at work is blasphemous.

       
    • Post a Comment


adopt your own virtual pet!