crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Friday, June 23, 2006

Downs and Ups

Riccardo and his 'rents spent last week in beautiful Hokkaido (northmost island of Japan). At first I was like, "why do I need to come all the way from Canada to see something that looks like Canada?" but the pictures he came home with were quite amazing. And convincing that Hokkaido is a worthy travel destination. With the months until my departure from Japan quickly slipping away, I have to wonder if I'll ever get there...

With the bf away, I finally had a length of time to spend with my gal-pals. Unfortunately finances dictated that nothing too exciting was in the works. We planned to spend the weekend at the beach. I envisioned my Saturday as a day on the warm sand, with a constant cold beer in my hand (or running down my throat). Sadly, it rained all weekend. No camping. I was pretty bummed. We all were.

Instead, I spend my Saturday morning supercleaning my apartment (stove, closet, ah!) and then, the afternoon at karaoke. Who karaokes in the afternoon, you ask? Well, at $11 for three people for two hours, bring your own bevies, who doesn't, I say. Good times. Later, Tressa had some friends to her apartment. We succeeded in getting Michiko, Daichi's sister, totally addicted to Asshole. Unfortunately my party-girl spirit seems to have been exorcised in recent months, so I was ready for bed by 11.

Sunday was a day of errand-running and movie-watching. I made Tressa Indian Butter Chicken for dinner, but subbed in tofu - not so into chicken, or meat, lately. VERY into tofu. Sunday was a day of waiting for Monday, when Riccardo returned and was scheduled to show up at my apartment around 1pm (I work a half-day on Mondays).

Safe and sound, Riccardo returned from Hokkaido, and Narita, where he dropped his parents off on Monday morning. They arrived back in Germany more than 24 hours later, more than a little exhausted and jetlagged!

After the last semi-uneventful weekend, we have some plans to spice things up this weekend: DISNEYLAND or PARAGLIDING. How stoked am I!?!? Paragliding is our first choice, but we haven't successfully got ahold of the company, which holds it's jumps on Tsukuba mountain, about 30 minutes from here. If that doesn't happy, Disneyland is always there, and we've wanted to go together for months. Now I can be just like a Japanese girl: wear Minnie Mouse ears and drag my boyfriend through the park! Details to follow.

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!