crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Huge News!

Riccardo and I are expecting a baby!!

Wow! It's been a secret for about three months, so we're both really excited to tell people. Of course we're even more excited about the pregnancy itself!

For the first three months my days alternated between feeling super nauseous (though I felt sick pretty much all the time, I was lucky enough not to actually BE sick) and feeling oddly fine. I kept thinking the doctor was tricking me, that I wasn't really preggers.
Anyway, we have been following the baby's progress in my 'What to Expect When You're Expecting' book and Riccardo's crazy Iphone App. The first time we checked things out, the baby was described as being the size of a grape. We thought that was cute, and since it's suitably non-gendered, we've taken to calling the baby 'Grape' as a nickname. Yes, we are aware this no longer suits it's current size!

Last week, though, I had my first ultra sound scan. How cool was that?! The baby was awake, so I got to see the little lemon-sized tyke kicking around. Strange, since I probably won't be able to feel the little nipper for another 2 months! Of course it's too early to tell the sex, but Riccardo and I have decided that at the next scan (21 weeks; mid-August), if they can tell the sex, we'd like to know in advance. Neither of us are superstitious, nor ones for surprises.

Originally my GP told us the baby would be due 29th December. But at the first scan, which they call the 'dating' scan, they take measurements of the baby's length and head circumpherence and decide a more exact estimate delivery date based on that. To my surprise, the new EDD is 18th December! I guess my GP accidentally went a week too late with his estimation - I did think it was rather late at the time, based on my own calculations, but doctor's know best, you know. So here we are, 14 weeks pregnant yesterday!

What are our plans? Well, nothing immediately. We're still considering selling up for a larger house, though my searches within more desireable neighbourhoods are leading me to believe this would be a worthless endeavour with our current budget. Plus, we're hoping Riki can move up within his career within the next year or so, so if that means a raise or a relocation, well, we'd be silly to move BEFORE the fact.


As for maternity leave, my school has been really supportive so far. When my due date was late Decemeber, I was thinking of going off work in late November, but now that it's moved forward, it might be easier all around for me to go off right after half-term break in late October. It will be 6-7 weeks early, but I do want my full 9-months' paid maternity leave. If I do return to work, part-time (which to my surprise was offered to me without hesitation - I thought I'd have to beg for the priviledge!), I've been advised to get full pay through the summer holidays 2011, and to come back at the very end of next year, late July... which means going off a few weeks earlier than planned in October won't hurt.


Plus, the in-laws have gratiously offered to come over in October and help us design and decorate our nursery. So it'd be nice to have some time with them. I'm thinking of a lady bug theme for the little room - what do you think?

We've been offered a free crib from Riccardo's boss, so we'll see what kind of shape that's in and go from there.
Which reminds me: I'm not going to be that snobby everything new, everything designer mother. Do you have any baby stuff you want to get rid of? Can you reasonably get it to me here in Brum? Gimme a call! Oh, and if you do want to get little 'Grape' a baby-warming gift (though please do not feel obligated), I think I'll set up a wishlist to avoid getting loads of repeat stuff. Keep an eye on the blog for details to come.

How happy am I!!

3 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!