crystal's capers

one girl's international adventures

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Summer Bummer

Pretty disappointed that I'm not going to be able to get back to Canada to see my niece (and friends and family and decent weather and parents' new house on lake) this summer. Hopefully it won't pour rain here the whole time. And on the plus side, my lack of visit may mean a hop-of-the-pond by some select family members. ???

Swine flu has hit my school. Calming down insane year 9s has taken literally half a lesson. It's really not a big deal, illness-wise. Not even as bad as a normal flu - just easier to get. I was actually involved in the sending home of the school's first two confirmed cases. When they showed up at my lesson they looked like crap. Now members of my yr 9 class are dropping like flies. Apparently when there are 5 confirmed cases in one school, the school districts are advised by the Health Organisation to shut down. There are already 9 schools in Birmingham shut down. There is also talk that if we do close, since it's so close to summer, there's no point re-opening until the new school year. I guess teachers will still have to come in, though. No flu-like symptoms for me, yet. Wait and see, I suppose.

Somehow I've been suckered into chaperoning a bible retreat next week. So weird. I kinda had to expect this sort of thing to crop up, working at a Catholic school and all. My friend, Fran, is organisating the retreat from Tuesday to Friday next week and was desperate enough to beg. Apparently the big problem is that about half of the 30 yr 10 kids signed up to go are a collection of the worst yr 10 kids in the school. Bitchy girls, mainly. So basically, no one wanted to go because of this. Plus, it's long nights making sure boys and girls don't fraternize, without any extra pay. Why did I agree? Um, can't really think of the reason right now. Anyhow, I'm going on Tuesday morning, with the coach, and returning on Wednesday evening. So just one night. Apparently the staff at the retreat house do all the entertaining, so all we have to do is hang around. And, since it's in Stratford-upon-Avon, we can wander around during the day in the town or sit in the pub. Good times.

Okay, probably not good times. But I'll let you know next week.

0 Comments:



adopt your own virtual pet!